Vijaya Dashami is the biggest festival and the longest holiday in Nepal. The 10-days-long celebration is a symbol of the victory of good over bad and involve worshiping of Durga, a Hindu goddess. Dashain also marks the time to return to one’s birthplace and meet all the relatives. Eating meat and other delicious food items is another attraction of the festival.
People usually buy new clothes and prepare various vegetarian and non-vegetarian food items at the time. Taking auspicious Tika and Jamara starts on the tenth day (October 24, this year) after Ghatasthapana and continues for the next four days.
Other attractions of the festival are traditional swings (linge ping and rote ping) and flying kite. People also engage in playing cards during the festival. This time is considered the high time for retail and entertainment businesses.
In the festival various models (who won major beauty contest in this year) told how they are celebrating Dashain:
- Miss Purwanchal 2012 Ashmita Gurung’s Dashain plan
- Miss Newa 2011 (2012?) Sunita Dangol’s Dashain plans
- Miss Sherpa 2012 Chimi Shrepa’s Dashain plans
- Miss Kirat 2012 Eshee Awai’s Dashain plans
- Miss Ecollege 2012 Grishma Basnet’s Dashain Plans
- Miss Mangol 2012 Sapana Roka Magar’s Dashain Plans
- Miss Limbu 2012 Nilima Maden Limbu’s Dashain plans
- Miss Global International Nepal 2012 Neelam Chand’s Dashain plans
HawaModel.com would like to wish all of our visitors a very happy Vijaya Dashami 2012!
Enjoy the festival responsively and within your budget.